Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Caterpillar and Watermelon Sugar Cookies


Summer is almost over, but a fun way to remember all the fun times and welcome in a new season is to bake some sugar cookies! I made different sized circle shaped sugar cookies and cut a few of the larger ones in half before baking them.
So, with the half circles, I piped on some royal icing caterpillars and made watermelon slices. The caterpillars were pretty easy as I just piped circles in different colors, one right after the next. Then when the icing dried a bit, I used a black edible ink marker to draw on a little eye and some antennas. Of course, the caterpillars can be made in a combination of any colors, bright, pastel, rainbow.......whatever matches your theme or mood.

For the watermelon slices, I simply piped on a green half circle, then flooded the rest of the cookie with red icing. Next, I put some black icing dots on it and used a toothpick to pull the black circles out to make them look like seeds.


I also made some square shaped cookies, put green icing on them and sprinkled sanding sugar onto them. Those were a lot of fun to eat, because they were nice and crunchy and looked a bit like grass!

These cookies would be perfect for a picnic, barbecue, garden party, summer get together or even a Hungry Caterpillar themed party.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

These cookies look so good! I can just imagine how delicious they are. I am your new follower from Blog Hop Thursday.
Judy from Jamaica

Mona said...

interesting kids would love this definitely.

Printabelle said...

Totally adorable and darling! Thanks so much for linking up!

Phyllis said...

Adorable! My kids would especially like the watermelon ones. Watermelon means summer to them! Thanks for linking up to the All Year Around Carnival.