They are easy to make and great for decorating. Most people I know make sugar cookies, but I prefer shortbread. They are softer and tastier.
2 cups of flour
1 cup of icing sugar
1 cup of cornstarch
1.5 cups of softened butter
- Mix all ingredients together with a pastry blender, form into a ball and refrigerate for 1 hour. It is not necessary to refrigerate the dough, but it makes it easier to handle if the cookies are going to be cut out with cookie cutters.
- Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness on a floured surface.
- Cut out desired cookie shapes.
- Use a lifter to lift each cookie onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Re-roll scraps and cut out more shapes.
Let cookies cool before removing them from cookie sheet.
Now it's time to decorate the cookies! There are many ways to decorate the cookies..............
You can put sprinkles on them, but this needs to be done before they are put in the oven to be baked.
They can be decorated with icing. Royal icing works well because it hardens and then the cookies can be stacked.
They can be partially or fully dipped in chocolate and then topped with coconut flakes, slivered almonds, sprinkles and anything else you prefer.