Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Which Type of Cookie Cutters are the Best?

Although, most Cookie Cutterswork well and serve their purpose of cutting shapes out of cookie dough, I feel that each different type of cookie cutter has it's own specialy quality.

Since I am a cookie fanatic, my cookie cutter collection has become quite large. I love to have cookie cutters of all different shapes and sizes. I used to buy the tin cookie cutters since they are more widely available in stores and economical at the same time. I also have some plastic ones from my Wilton 101-Piece Cookie Cutter Set. Then there are copper cookie cutters as well. My very first copper cookie cutter was in the shape of a star and was given to be by a friend. When I first saw it, I thought it was beautiful and shiny. I love using it because it is so sturdy, easy to wash, and will not rust at all. Of course, you can only make so many star shaped cookies. That's why I have added a few more copper Cookie Cuttersto my collection since then.

Here are some reasons why I like each type of cookie cutter and a few ways in which they differ from each other.


Plastic Cookie Cuttersare:

-Great for kids to use
-Good for cutting things other than cookies, such as cheese, sandwich shapes or cutting play dough shapes
-They are usually lower in cost and easy to find in stores
-Sometimes they don't cut as well and if you may end up with cookies with edges that are not really smooth
-Easy to care for, easy to wash and dry
-They can't rust!

Tin Cookie Cutters:

-Are easy to find in local stores
-They are affordable, so you can get lots of different shapes without spending too much
-They cut pretty well, but may sometimes rust if not cared for properly

Copper Cookie Cutters:

-Are really nice and easy to take care of
-They are sturdy
-They don't rust
-They cut really well
-Not as easy to find as plastic or tin cookie cutters, as they don't seem to be widely available in stores
-They cost more than the other types of Cookie Cutters

Overall, I can't say that any type of cookie cutter is better than another since they each have their good and not so good points. It just depends on what they are being used for and how often they will be used. Those are just some of my thoughts and opinions based on experience. Keep in mind that I only bake cookies as a hobby so if you have any advice, thoughts, or opinions, please feel free to share them in the comments section below.

Happy Baking!

No comments: